When you start getting into baking, you quickly realise that you can use a lot of substitutes for various ingredients. I have recently bought coconut flour, arrowroot, matcha, flaxseed so I can try to bake even healthier and switch it up! One of my “bucket-list” baking items was definitely a chocolate zucchini cake. I had tasted one in Paris once and was really curious trying it on my own. So here we go!
I did this cake maybe 10 days ago, we kept it outside, on the kitchen counter under a cloth, for around 3 days and then placed a few pieces in the freezer. They keep really well. Put them in the microwave for a minute to warm up before eating.
I know zucchini chocolate can sound like an odd combination but I promise it’s healthy and you cannot taste the veggies in it :). Zucchinis are a great source of fiber, vitamins (B6, C, K) and water. So why not?
Preparation : 30 minutes (includes grating the zucchinis) – baking time : 30 minutes
- 2 cups (300g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder (100g) .I used chocolate protein powder instead, in order to make it a protein snack.
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cup (300g) of coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) avocado oil
- 1/4 cup (55g) melted butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk – I substituted this by 1/4 cup (60ml) almond milk and a dash of vinegar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups (300g) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (175g) half sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 C)
- Grease a pan with coconut oil cooking spray and set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, protein powder or cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt and whisk together
- In a large bowl pour the oil, melted butter, buttermilk (or almond milk), eggs and whisk together
- Stir all the ingredients in the dry bowl until combined
- Then add the zucchini and chocolate chips. Some people like to take out some of the moisture from the zucchinis. I did not do it this time because I used small zucchinis which deliver less moisture
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre or the cake
- Let the cake cool a little. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Would you be ok with putting zucchinis in your chocolate cake ? For me, it is very similar to the use of carrots in a carrot cake. Let me know if you try it out!
Pin it on Pinterest!