Are you craving something salty and crunchy like a good old pack of chips? I am 🙋♀️
Here is my favourite substitute for chips. When I just don’t feel like spending $$$ on them or because I want to still have control over my salt and fat intake. A can of organic chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) at Trader Joe’s is just 99cents. Chick peas are full of fiber, calcium and magnesium and they are a great source of protein. It is also a vegan and gluten free produce. 🙆♀️
Roasting them will make them super crunchy and salty and the high levels of fiber will help you feel full longer and help with digestion!
Prep time : 5 min – Baking time : 45-50 min
- 1 can (15oz or 425g) of organic chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp everyday seasoning from Trader Joe’s, Paprika or Tajin spices
- Preheat your oven at 375F (190C)
- Open your can, drain and rinse your chickpeas
- Line them on a baking sheet and let them bake 30 min, shaking the pan to make sure they don’t burn every 10 minutes
- Take your chickpeas out of the oven but keep the oven ON
- In a bowl, mix your chickpeas with olive oil, salt and your spices of choice.
- Mix well until all chickpeas are coated
- Line the chickpeas back on your baking sheet and bake an extra 15-20min in the oven
This recipe consists in 2 very important steps. Number 1 is drying the chickpeas. It is indispensable to obtain a crunchy textures and avoid mushiness. Number 2 is baking the chickpeas with seasoning long enough to soak the flavours.
The spices you choose to use is up to you! If you wanna add more spice, you can use paprika and pepper. If you’d like something a little more mediterranean, you can just use olive oil, thyme and oregano.
Let me know if you try it out!